Reading And Writing You Choose

Vincent Chow
ENGL 21001 P
Prof. Northrop
9/20/18

I think that writing and reading are nonessential past a certain age or grade level. Once we learn how to do both, if we aren’t trying to become writers, reporters, or any writing and reading research required job base I don’t think that we need to continue our education on it. I never had a book or any writing piece or literature that moved me or made me want to read or write more. To me reading and writing are only needed to a certain degree and anything past that isn’t important. I think that it should be optional depending on what that person is trying to do or become.
There are so many essays and reports that we all have to do and I never truly understood why. We learn how to read and write, however when have we really used these things in real life. I’m not talking the essentials parts of reading and writing, but things like writing formats, or how to read and interpret what a text is saying. Of course the basics of reading and writing are important however, why do we need to continue with it after we learn so. We spend a lot of time leaning all the different types of writing styles, formats, citations, but when have we used them is real life. If our livelihood doesn’t depend on that, when will we ever use these things that we have spend so much time learning. I have never had a situation where any message I got on any platform I wouldn’t be rereading the content over and over to see what is really being said and to really understand what there person is trying to say. Also, if I were to reply I wouldn’t be sending a message back in a certain format or style. I have never citied anyone beside for schoolwork so learning MLA, Chicago, APA were of no use at all. So why do we need to go through and learn more than we all need too.
I do think that reading and writing are very important to everyone, however when it comes to a certain point in ones life where if you don’t have a passion towards it, then we shouldn’t be forced to further learn. I feel that everyone should be able to pick whether or not they want to proceed with their education in reading or writing. I believe that if this is possible that classes would be more enjoyable and engaging. There wouldn’t be any people unless they feel that after they do they don’t belong, however if not it would be a class full of only students that find a desire to do so and have a passion for it. With that I think classes would do better grading wise and the student would at least try more and willing to do the things rather than those who don’t even want to be there to begin with. This to me would be a lot better than having a mix of students that care and don’t care; it would also help the professor or teacher because the class would be more participating with increased topic conversations.
This is also why I like Canada, even though it is a different country with different laws and systems, their college schools let you study toward your desired major. They would rather you take classes to your major than classes of humanities and I think this system is better and works more efficiently. If we all had the opportunity to pick I truly believe that school and classes would be more captivating for students to want to do more and give them a chance to actually meet others with same interest of majors rather than grouping up a bunch of different ones and not having anyone talk to each other in class or try to make friends. Reading and writing to me are really not that important after a certain time in life. It seems boring and has no growth potential for people who don’t desire to do so, then what is the point of it and why do we continue to do it.